Wednesday 19 September 2012

Back to work and routine

After 18 days out of the office (including weekends) it's back to work today.  Whilst I am dreading a return to my workload, I have to say that a little bit of me relishes the return to routine.  Over the last 4 weeks my usual 20k-a-week swimming routine has been disrupted by endless races and quite a bit of cycling and I can feel that my swimming has suffered a bit.  I'm looking forward to early morning swimming again and preparing myself for my last two swimming races of the season.

My next race is my last attempt at 3.8k this season, doing the VOTWO end of season Long Swim at Dorney Lake.  Obviously I would like to break the hour, having come within 18 seconds of doing so earlier on in the season, but I'm not sure that the recent training will be sufficient.  I'll have to see what I can do with rest and training in the next 10 days. This is on 30th September.  Regardless of my time however, I know I will be proud with whatever result I get; I did my first 3.8k swim here exactly two years ago and my time was nearly 90 minutes, so I know that I have made a huge improvement since then.

On 14th October, which is the latest I've ever swum, I will be heading over to the V Cars Open Water Swim Race which has the odd distance of 2.6k and a brief run between each lap!  I'll be doing this with Tuna Friend Fiona.

Once these two events are out of the way, I will be starting to think about short term plans and goals to take me towards my long term goal of a 70.3 next year (and the ongoing goal of getting sub-1hour for a 3.8k lake swim if I haven't succeeded!).

2 comments:

  1. When it comes to triathloning--and swimming, biking, and running as separate disciplines--it's important to remember how far you've come. I didn't have the best race today, but I remind myself of how much I've progressed during the past four months. You'll do great at your last two races, and I can't wait to read about your journey to 70.3! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's going to be an interesting journey I think, I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete